Saturday, January 23, 2016

2015 in Review!

2015 was an amazing year for me.  I really got into hardcore birding, and it was a lot of fun!! I met some awesome birders, and had some great trips.

Here are a few stats from my year:

391 species seen, all in the ABA.

178 lifers over the year.

I hit 500 lifers on the final day of the year with a Snow Bunting.

I hit ABA #400 with a Gray-crowned Rosy-finch.

64 ABA Code 2s, 6 ABA Code 3s. an ABA Code 4, and two ABA Code 5s.

13 owls observed during the year, always an important stat for me.

I birded four states; Arizona, California, Idaho, and Washington.

I moved from Arizona to Idaho in the fall, giving myself lots of new birding chances!!

Here are a few of my favorite images of the year, in no particular order:

Eurasian Wigeon

 Allen's Hummingbird

Harris's Hawk

Bald Eagle 

Black-headed Grosbeak 

Painted Bunting, an epic rarity found with Caleb Strand! 

Western Screech-Owl 

Mississippi Kite 

Rehabbed American Kestrel 

Mountain Plover 

Mountain Plover 

Eastern Kingbird 

Elf Owl 

Gray-crowned Rosy-finch 

Streak-backed Oriole! 

Spotted Owl! 

Whiskered Screech-Owl 

Whiskered Screech-Owl 

Elegant Trogon

Broad-billed Hummingbird 

Brown Pelican 

Blue-throated Hummingbird, the beginning of a great friendship with Caleb Strand! 

A rare Clay-colored Sparrow in Idaho 

Mega-rarity Tufted Flycatcher! 

Montezuma Quail 

Juvi Spotted Owl 

Adult male Spotted Owl 

2015 was AMAZING!! Stay tuned for more awesome adventures in 2016, including OWLING HARD in Washington!

Walker

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Walker! Well done! Hope you find lots more this year! Good birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one SMACK year of birding! You are an amazing birder and photographer! Keep up the bird hardness, Mr. Fly!

    ReplyDelete